It seems we need more tackle

Old geezer

When I'm session fishing I take a lot of gear, because I need all of it. Having a lot of gear doesn't mean you're doing something wrong or that you're somehow missing the point.

Other times, like if I'm doing an evening's chubbing, I take very little, but I still need all of it.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I do wonder why it is assumed that someone who takes an appropriate amount of gear for the session has no skill or knowledge of watercraft.

It is possible to have all the gear and an idea.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

If I had to, I could cut in half the amount of stuff I take on a long session. Unfortunately, it would mean having no spare clothes, nowhere to sleep, and nothing to eat. Not really very practical...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Like Anderoo I suspect I take very little when I'm mobile. There's usually more food and drink than tackle!

Unfortunately, being disabled it isn't practical for me to be mobile when I'm camping as moving swim is too exhausting. However I appreciate that for the able-bodied it can mean more fish. I therefore have to stay put and, because I have the luxury of my own water and drive to nearly all the swims, I can take the kitchen sink.

I always smile though when I see the comments from those who've never been session fishing. It's clear they have no idea of what it involves.:)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I always smile though when I see the comments from those who've never been session fishing. It's clear they have no idea of what it involves. :)

Absolutely right!

I do love the types of fishing you can do with minimal gear - fly fishing with a rod, a net and what can be carried in a fly vest, or winter chubbing with not much more tackle and a light chair.

Camping and fishing is a different thing, though, and has its own attractions. It's not clever to be uncomfortable.

Besides, it isn't always so clear cut - when we go to the Lower Itchen, I usually take a car full of gear but only use a bit of it at a time.

It's not clever to be uncomfortable.

Well put!

Some anglers I've met seem to look down on session anglers and all the gear they take.

Yes, many session anglers (especially newcomers) have no idea and are outfished by those who take little. This is especially so on overstocked waters, which is all many anglers these days have any experience of.

But what matters is the skill of the angler, not the amount of tackle he takes.

And what matters most of all is how much enjoyment we get from our fishing - whatever the style.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well put!

Some anglers I've met seem to look down on session anglers and all the gear they take.

Yes, many session anglers (especially newcomers) have no idea and are outfished by those who take little. This is especially so on overstocked waters, which is all many anglers these days have any experience of.

But what matters is the skill of the angler, not the amount of tackle he takes.

And what matters most of all is how much enjoyment we get from our fishing - whatever the style.

I agree with what you're saying Steve, but I think many of the comments are made tongue in cheek, a bit of mickey taking, if you like, but it seems that lots of todays anglers are sensitive souls, and take offence.

It's a long time since I did any sessions, but I remember taking everything I could carry, that I thought I'd need, No bivvies then but an umberella and a large plastic sheet for the sides. No bed chairs, just a fold up chair, Basic cooking stove, either one ring gas, or solid fuel type. Slept when not fishing.

I'm all for comfort, and I realise that things have improved, but I never expect to be staying in 4star accomodation when fishing, and don't get me started on taking a TV to watch!! :D

But hey, if it's what a guy wants to do, and as long as they don't disturb any other anglers, who am I to try and stop them?

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John, some of the comments are almost certainly mickey taking, although of course it's difficult to see on the internet.

However I have met anglers face to face who certainly weren't taking the mickey. The worst of these thought he was somehow superior to session anglers!

As you know, I do both styles of fishing. However in the days before I camped I could see some sense in what the non-session anglers said. I still can. Session fishing can make you lazy and as a result you don't fish as well.

Now I'm a little fitter I hope to be able to combine both styles. I'll be setting up a base camp but going creeping around as well.

And your last sentence I totally agree with.

Steve,

Ha ha! Session fishing in the UK is camping with a bunch of fishing rods. If you want to get away from the Ms. for a few days just say so. (I couldn't do it. Fish that long - as for being away - well - no comment.)

Phone

PS: I do "session fish" from a nice motel.