What an excellent idea.

corydoras

It's been a maxim of mine for a long time that if one cannot explain something to a child one does not have a clue what one is talking about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38021839

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Surely a child shouldn't believe things other say? Or rather a person should instill in children not to believe things others say

I remember several sulky child episodes where a child was told their teacher was wrong but ofcourse children will believe a teacher mostly because it is you telling them

Not just children but my mrs doesnt believe in god yet loves christmas ?!?! For a quiet life i go along with the fiasco its pointless trying to point out if god doesnt exist then his sprog cannot therefore the celebration of that sprog cannot exist therefore christmas cannot.

The giving gifts bit is fine its nice to give gifts but why pick a half god half man that may have been born 2,000 years ago as a reason and cleverly forgetting his dad has had millions killed in his name

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's been a maxim of mine for a long time that if one cannot explain something to a child one does not have a clue what one is talking about.

If memory serves me aright, I believe it was Rutherford who said "If you cannot explain atomic structure to your cleaning lady, then perhaps you do not understand it very well yourself"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If memory serves me aright, I believe it was Rutherford who said "If you cannot explain atomic structure to your cleaning lady, then perhaps you do not understand it very well yourself"

Blimey i didnt know miss marple was so brainy !

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There's another little saying that has been proven to be true on many occasions, especially in the more manual trades.

"Those that can, do, those that can't, teach". :rolleyes:

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

And has been proven to be untrue on many occasions as well. ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Gozzer,

Beyond question, it has always seemed to me the more skilled a tradesman is the less likely he is to be a patient teacher with an apprentice. They prefer to simply do it themselves and be done with it. They generally say, "just watch".

I'll confess here - my greatest short coming is "word choice".

"callipygian" = a lovely butt - - - - - - - "My dear, you have a lovely callipygian" hardly ever helped me get the message across.

"circumlocution" = using unnecessarily wordy and indirect language

This trait is rarely "proficuous". Just make me look like I am a show off sesquipedalian.

Phone

Gozzer,

Beyond question, it has always seemed to me the more skilled a tradesman is the less likely he is to be a patient teacher with an apprentice. They prefer to simply do it themselves and be done with it. They generally say, "just watch".

I'll confess here - my greatest short coming is "word choice".

"callipygian" = a lovely butt - - - - - - - "My dear, you have a lovely callipygian" hardly ever helped me get the message across.

"circumlocution" = using unnecessarily wordy and indirect language

This trait is rarely "proficuous". Just make me look like I am a show off sesquipedalian.

Phone

Two pints of what you've been drinking please!

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Learned this many, many years ago... 'He who knows and knows that he knows, is a leader, follow him

He who knows and knows not that he knows, is a student, teach him

He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a man, befriend him

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool, ignore him'

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.