It seems we need more tackle

Old geezer

I have always found it a mystery how tackle runs out of fish catching ability,mine must have been crammed full of it i have been using the same rod and reel since the 70's and its not run out yet.

Do we need it or just plain want it?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ha! I was going to photoshop a kid looking through a sweetie shop window onto a tackle shop, but I couldn't find any decent photographs that weren't shutterstock or other restricted rights materials.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking on this thread on Thursday when I decided to go for a session. I thought 'Yep' do not need that or that or that and then the Mrs said I have cooked that and this I can freeze so back went in the bits I was not going to take.

Why do I need two 1 man bivies so I left one and then thought the weather does not look good and eel fishing at night requires a bit more layers of clothing so I put some clothing I had removed back in?

Where was I going to put this extra clothing plus dry clothing if I got wet? So then the second one man bivvy went back in.

Finally I thought I can do without a chair and just use the bivvy then I thought I want to float fish and also I want to see the countryside in comfort not obscured by half a bivvy so I put the chair back in...Quite comical really...

Unless you are intending to go mobile then a fishing session needs all options to be on hand whether it tackle or anything else and i think that makes a good angler not an idiot..

Then i never went due to a medical problem..LOL

• Like 1

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Managed to get all my tackle (tackle box, reel, tools, cloth) and some munchies in a small rucksack with rod and net in hand last week. Felt great walking up the canal with a spring in my step. Walked back home with numb arse cheeks and a stiff back cause I never took a seat. Wooden pontoons are not that forgiving :P

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Have been perch fishing for a few days, windy, bloody cold, no perch, but as the leaves have not emerged yet, Norma was able to watch nightingales, blackcaps, whitethroats, willow warblers, Cetti's warblers and chiffchaff searching for insects on the bare branches - the whole spring migrant population seemed to have arrived all at once.

...and all three UK hirudines, ie swallow, sand martin and house martin, in their hundreds out over the gravel pit.

So have only just seen this thread, in which I note others have reached the same conclusions I reached on the John Wilson thread a day or so back :)

I was interested in the comments on bloodworm - when I was younger I used to collect my own, chest waders and a thin blade mounted on a broom handle, a bit like a scythe in reverse. Sweep it through the top few inches of mud, and then wipe the bloodworms off into a jam jar slung round your neck. The bloodworm pond was two feet of water over two feet plus of soft sticky clayey mud, so wading it was not for the faint-hearted. It involved a LOT of time and trouble, not least in the cleaning up the gear afterwards.

Found bloodworm an excellent winter bait for roach on places like the Romney and Pevensey marshes.

It was banned in matches, mainly because most anglers were too lazy to get their own, or too tight-fisted to buy it - although shortage of cash never stopped them buying their fags and beer !

Bans ? Yep, seen plenty. Peeler crab was banned in sea matches, for similar reasons.

I once took a fly-rod to a summer match, put down my match gear when things got slow, picked up the fly rod and caught a couple of bleak, which made little difference to my match weight, and drew pitying smiles from the other members. If I had hooked even a modest two-pound chub, it would have won the match, and no doubt those same members would have been on their feet at the next AGM, demanding a ban on fly-fishing.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If we are boasting about the amount of tackle then I find that unpleasant.

If we are boasting about our prowess with a rod catching fish then I am impressed.

There is a dfference between catching fish and winching fish in.

I used to accumulate floats, lines and gizmos. Now I leave 'em in the shed. There is more of a challenge reading the conditions and making very basic decisions about shotting and size of hook n line. It is def' more satisfying to catch fish on light line than on oversized tackle (but do not winch em in!).

In the video there are many common sense points made, it is clearly stated about using no more bait than necessary. This is rarely observed and common sense is often seen flying with the pigs.

Common sense would suggest that if you must persist in lugging drills and half a hardware shop to the swim please go where you are nowhere near anyone else (as in the video). Then while you are having fun you are not reducing it for others.

"Muddlin' along"

wunnus,

Common sense remains a perennial topic in angling doesn't it? The flaw in your thinking is that common sense is that everyone should be able to make prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the facts.

By your own admission you use independent skilled specialized discriminate knowledge and experience when you are angling. That is NOT common sense. It is not fair to look down a "blue nose" to the average weekend angler who is somewhere between 0 and 9 on the Richter Scale of laughability and say he doesn't have common sense.

Phone