How is the Weather down your way?

Blowing very hard in Suffolk this morning. was going to have a quiet day indoors but at about 11.45am the phone rang, a parcel of spares to go up to North Lincolnshire. Interesting trip though, along the A17 in South Lincolnshire there were 3 or 4 artic lorries blown over. One of them had only missed a house by about 4'.0". various other lorries and vans in ditches or fields. Commercial size glass houses blown apart and loads of trees down. got home again about 8.00pm tonight. fortunately the wind has eased off a bit now.

Steam rules

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the wind strenght was pretty constant here but now and again there was a tremendous gust (fun on the bike) i think these gusts did the damage and i think its probably the gusts that are put down to "tornado's" earlier in the year ,with the trees already bent due to the constant wind an extra gust will send the weak ones over and the same goes for roofs etc the tiles may just be lifted in the wind but the gust tears them off etc.

the wall that killed the little boy from what i could see wasent built correctly ,it looked as if it was built as a substitute for wood pannels using the concrete posts ,this ofcourse stoped it being "tied in" to the rest of the wall ,the edge on the floor looked straight not "toothed" as it should if it were one continual wall

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Blowing very hard in Suffolk this morning. was going to have a quiet day indoors but at about 11.45am the phone rang, a parcel of spares to go up to North Lincolnshire. Interesting trip though, along the A17 in South Lincolnshire there were 3 or 4 artic lorries blown over. One of them had only missed a house by about 4'.0". various other lorries and vans in ditches or fields. Commercial size glass houses blown apart and loads of trees down. got home again about 8.00pm tonight. fortunately the wind has eased off a bit now.

Yeah there were a few along there, one at Fosdyke, one on the A16 just down from Sutterton roundabout. In fact I also passed loads of stuff gone over in Lincolnshire.

Last Thu there was a triple decker artic over at the Sutterton roundabout carrying 180 pigs off to George Adams. Those pigs that wern't killed were put down, except those that escaped through the garage - bacon anyone.

Yogi. :thumbs:

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

I had to go down to Gosport in the Hooley today, a few bits of the coast road were closed due to flooding from the sea but I pulled up on the Hover slip at Lee and took a few pics, I got out of my car to get to a flask in the boot & the wind half blew me over, I just managed to slip behind my car into the shelter of it & had to get back in from the passenger side!

P1010112.jpg

Somewhere in the murk is Hugeville and a Freighter was going past heading for Southampton docks, Proper hoooley it was.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

News from Australia: Todd River flowing in Alice Springs, Northern Territory.....Water 1 metre deep over the road near Barrow Creek, Northern Territory.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Usually winds this high are associated with a small tight depression that swings across the country quickly giving high winds for 2 or 3 hours and then it's gone.

It was the fact that the high winds were sustained for over 12 hours that I find unusual.

-----

Coming back from the dentist, an empty plastic dustbin (sans lid), came charging out of the pub car-park, turned right and careered down the road in front of me.

It crossed the A2, stuck in a flooded gutter for a few seconds, mounted the pavement then changed direction and skidded to the right, bowling along the A2 at considerable speed.

By the time I got down to the A2, it had disappeared.

Then I caught up with it a short while later.

It had crossed back over the A2 and was charging around in someon's front garden.

I wonder how far it had come from, seemed to be having great fun!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Somewhere in the murk is Hugeville and a Freighter was going past heading for Southampton docks, Proper hoooley it was.

Back at you........................

Picture of the Central Solent and the now running IoW ferry (I think it's the "Red Falcon"

and a view of Togland in the distance :P

To the unknown, the large building to the left of picture is the hangar where the flying boats used to leave for the USA. The ferry is having to "head into" the wind to make progress, she should be well to the left of Calshot Spit in the (not very good) picture and be prow onto the shot.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Where was I yesterday? flying to Manchester and back, or rather flying to Manchester and getting stranded! Whats more thats a flight I'd rather not repeat. The sudden drops were pretty scarey. By yesterday afternoon, the train station had been closed, the buses had stopped, the Trams had stopped and the M6 and M56 were closed along with a few other key routes and bridges. Taxis were like gold dust and the city was almost grid locked. I'm certainly glad to be home and shant be flying again for a while! :headhurt::blink:

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com