#1 Elton

Elton

Site Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,503 posts
  • Interests:fishing, internet, cars, my dog

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:50 PM

I've added a few words to the press release. However many I wrote, it would never be enough. If you've ever so much as looked at Anglers' Net, you have Steve to thank. Without him, it would never have existed....

https://www.anglersn...d-from-wingham/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

#2 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,945 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 16 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

Best wishes Steve ,go fishing i hear theres a place called Wingham down south somewhere !I am sure the vetter will let you join

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#3 medwaygreen

medwaygreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:Sports

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:35 AM

Steve, I wish you a very happy retirement,I retired one year ago and it is the best job I have ever had.

For The very many happy times I spent at Wingham I thank you and wish you and Peggy all the best in the future.

Edited by medwaygreen, 17 June 2019 - 12:41 AM.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

#4 Sportsman

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    fishing

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

Steve

All the very best on yor retirement. It is well earned and I hope you and Peggy enjoy what is to come.

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

#5 Ken L

Ken L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,106 posts
  • Interests:Chucking lures, Martial arts and as much travel as possible

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Steve: All the very best pursuing whatever life choices come next.
I never did make it to Wingham but it seems that you created something magical.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.
Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima.  Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.
Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.
Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub. 
Species caught in 2014: Striped catfish. Pacu. Giant gourami. Clown knife fish. Rohu. Siamese carp. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Roach. Bream. Perch. Rainbow trout. Chub. Common Carp, Ide. Brown Trout. Barbel. Mekong catfish. Jullien's golden carp. Alligator gar. Java barb.
Species caught in 2013: Mangrove Jack. Barramundi. Blubberlip snapper. Baracouda. Malabar grouper. Yellowfin Trevally. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Roach. Pike. European Eel. Bleak.
Species caught in 2012: Northern whiting. Moray eel. Barramundi. Snakehead murrel. Silver razorbelly minnow. Deccan Mahseer. Malabar mystus. Deccan rita. Spotted Malabar Grouper. Mangrove Jack. Indian sea catfish. Brown Trout. Chub. Perch. Roach. Rudd.
Species caught in 2011: Indian sea catfish. Sardine. Barramundi. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Record Humpbacked Mahseer. Yellow Fin Trevelly. Giant Trevelly. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Pike. Atlantic salmon. Dace. Minnow. Roach. Gudgeon. 
Species caught in 2010: Barramundi. Giant Trevelly. Moray eel. Indian sea catfish. Mangrove Jack. Deccan Mahseer. Humpback Mahseer. Chub. Brown Trout. Perch. Bass. Pike. 
Species caught in 2009: Chub. Perch. Pike. Pacu. Thai Striped Catfish. 
Species caught in 2008: Barramundi. p-i-k-e-y sea bream. Indian sea catfish. Guitarfish. Mangrove Jack. Mahseer. Squid (Not strictly a fish but it took a lure !). Emperor Sweetlip. Black Spot Snapper. Moray eel. Spangled Emperor. Bluecheek silver grunt. Yellow striped emperor. Vanikoro sweeper. Pike. Perch. Brown trout. Chub. Atlantic salmon.

#6 gozzer

gozzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

Wishing you a long, happy, and healthy retirement Steve.

It's a time to take stock, and start enjoying the days, instead of counting the hours.

John. 

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

#7 Mat Hillman

Mat Hillman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts
  • Interests:Coarse fishing<br />Online poker<br />

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

Same from me, i spent many enjoyable days at Wingham, both at the AN fish ins and as a member.
Good luck in your retirement Steve. I wish you and Peggy all the best.
Mat

#8 Anderoo

Anderoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,053 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Enjoy your retirement Steve, you have certainly earned it. This has stirred many memories for me, starting with my first ever trip at the 2006 AN fish-in where I was instantly bewitched. I never expect to replicate that experience, Wingham is and will remain the most incredible place I have ever fished. As well as the wildness, the haunting atmosphere, the beguiling mystery, and the enormous, immaculate fish of many species, it was also a place where I met many friends with whom I shared countless amazing experiences. So, Steve, thank you.

(I could honestly write endlessly about Wingham, I am having to stop myself from launching into a novel-sized post!)

PS I've just found an old photo of Rich fishing one of the platform swims:

whichnetIMg_1024x1024.jpg?v=1493241394

Edited by Anderoo, 18 June 2019 - 11:45 AM.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

#9 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

Congratulations on your retirement Steve and good luck in future ventures. Wingham and your generosity in organising AN fish-ins provided me with an angling experience on my first visit which won't ever be topped. I still go back and read the blog entry every now and then, hard to believe it was eight years ago.

All the best Steve. 

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

#10 John S

John S

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,993 posts
  • Interests:Eating cage birds and missing out commas.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:37 PM

Best wishes to you and Peggy on your retirement Steve. Now you'll have plenty of time for the better things in life, like FISHING :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak,  Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.